The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2019
Safeguarding against economic slowdowns and downturns
This year’s report presents evidence that the absolute number of people who suffer from hunger continues to slowly increase. The report also highlights that food insecurity is more than just hunger. For the first time, the report provides evidence that many people in the world, even if not hungry, experience moderate food insecurity as they face uncertainties about their ability to obtain food and are forced to compromise on the quality and/or quantity of the food they consume. This phenomenon is observed globally, not only in low- and middle-income countries but also in high-income countries.
The report also shows that the world is not on track to meet global nutrition targets, including those on low birthweight and on reducing stunting among children under five years. Moreover, overweight and obesity continue to increase in all regions, particularly among school-age children and adults. The report stresses that no region is exempt from the epidemic of overweight and obesity, underscoring the necessity of multifaceted, multisectoral approaches to halt and reverse these worrying trends.
In light of the fragile state of the world economy, the report presents new evidence confirming that hunger has been on the rise for many countries where the economy has slowed down or contracted. Unpacking the links between economic slowdowns and downturns and food insecurity and malnutrition, the report contends that the effects of the former on the latter can only be offset by addressing the root causes of hunger and malnutrition: poverty, inequality and marginalization. The report concludes by recommending short- to long-term policies that address these underlying causes and safeguard food security and nutrition against economic slowdowns and downturns.
The report is published by FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, WFP and WHO.
Read the full report below or Browse the main elements of the report
Del mismo autor
- Panorama de la seguridad alimentaria y nutrición en América Latina y el Caribe 2020 03/12/2020
- Report: The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2020 04/08/2020
- Cómo evitar que la crisis del COVID-19 se transforme en una crisis alimentaria 16/06/2020
- Seguridad Alimentaria bajo la Pandemia de COVID-19 28/04/2020
- El estado de la seguridad alimentaria y la nutrición en el mundo 2019 17/07/2019
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2019 17/07/2019
- Decenio de las Naciones Unidas para la agricultura familiar 2019-2028: Plan de acción mundial 30/05/2019
- Panorama de la pobreza rural en América Latina y el Caribe 2018 21/11/2018
- América Latina y el Caribe es la región con la mayor desigualdad en la distribución de la tierra 06/04/2017
- Panorama de la seguridad alimentaria y nutricional 19/01/2017