The economic, social and ecological crises humanity face are no accident, but a result of policies pursued by a small corporate elite - best known as the Davos class - that has systematically hijacked political and economic policy throughout the world.
TNI, as part of its new Corporate Power project, is producing a series of infographics over 2012 that expose the reality of corporate power, and our need to fundamentally change direction. Please download and share these infographics, and watch out for new ones over the coming months.
Planet Earth: A Corporate World
Top 25 companies based on revenues: Forbes, April 2011
Top 25 companies based on ownership and control: Vitali, Glattfelder, and Battiston, The Network of Global Corporate Control, 2011
Corporations more powerful than nations: Nations' GDP from IMF website; company revenue from Fortune 500
Location of Top 200 corporations and number of Top 500 corporations per country: Fortune 500
The global 0.001%
Extreme wealth and Geography of the Rich: Capgemini and Merrill Lynch Global Wealth Management, World Wealth Report 2011
An unequal world: Isabel Ortiz and Matthew Cummins, Global inequality: Beyond the Bottom Billion , UNICEF April 2011 f
What would $42.7 billion pay for?
World's top billionaires and sectors the wealth came from: Forbes.com, March 2011
Case study of Carlos Slim: Outing the oligarchy - billionaires who benefit from today’s climate crisis, International Forum on Globalization (IFG)
Tax rates in different OECD countries: Center of Budget and Policy Priorities http://www.cbpp.org/
Tax evasion costs: Tax Justice Network, Cost of Tax Abuse, November 2011
- Testimony before the U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, October 23, 2008.
- Reuters, September 22, 2008; Marketwatch, September 26, 2008.
- Ken I. Kim and Anna Yelkina, Privatization in Russia: Its Past, Present, and Future, SAM Advanced Management Journal, Winter 2003. See also Thane Gustafson, Capitalism Russian-style, chapter 8; Anne Williamson, Contagion: The Betrayal of Liberty; http://www.lenta.ru/lib/14160313/full.htm; and ttp://russiaprofile.org/bg_people/resources_whoiswho_alphabet_c_chubais.html
- Thane Gustafson, Capitalism Russian-style, chapter 3; and Janine R. Wedel, The Harvard Boys Do Russia, The Nation, June 1, 1998.
- Reuters, September 22, 2008; and Aaron Mulvihill, Russia Today
- Marketwatch, September 26, 2008.
Marcilio Marques Moreira
- Financial Industry Paid Millions to Obama Aide, New York Times, April 3, 2009.
- Bloomberg News, March 3 and December 18, 2009.
Research: George Draffan
Design: Ricardo Santos